Tuesday, October 7, 2008

food

Thailand is a hard act to follow when it comes to the culinary world.  Bolivia isn't renowned for its variety of flavor, but it does have a plethora of potatoes. So far I cannot stake too many complaints in the food department.  Although this past week I had to use my creativity to hide/make disappear both a portion of cow tongue and a LARGE portion of cow stomach.  I successfully did not even try a bite of either, I do have my limits (and so does my stomach).  

Breakfast has been interesting. The lady I live with, Doña Lurdes, likes to wake up and make something for me.  I am very grateful for her cooking, but I sometimes can´t enjoy hamburger patties and salad that early in the morning. Today I finally made it to a proper grocery store (most people shop at open markets) to buy snacks for work and oatmeal for breakfast.  

For lunch I either go out with coworkers to local hole in the walls or share a salad in the office.  There are three lunch clicks at the office and I am trying hard not to be placed in any of them. I have dinner at home, which is where I get most of my Bolivian cuisine.   Usually lunch and dinner begin with soup and then there is a main course that usually has rice AND potatoes.  As I mentioned there is a wide variety of potatoes, I have probably tried up to five types.  I am a huge potato fan, which is a good thing, but have not found a liking for the chuño (dehydrated potato).  Tonight I had the nice surprise of a banana sautéed in what I think was balsamic vinegar. Don´t knock it till you try it!

On the sweet side, Bolivians are huge coke fans, perhaps due to the huge use of the coca leaf.  There are also tons of bakeries, coffee and ice cream shops around my office, which keep my sweet tooth quite satisfied. 

The best part of all, is that rarely are preservatives used and most of the vegetables are organic.  
bon appetite! 

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

you are making me hungry! I remember buying chuno in Chile once, thinking it was powdered sugar!

quilter13 said...

Interesting cuisine. I am sure they do not have the spices that are found in Thailand. Thank you for the post card, it arrived today while we were talking to Erin on Skype. The internet will not be up and running in the apt for a little while the unit arrived in a wet box today.
do you have an email?
mrs. frey