Friday, February 6, 2009

Back in L.P.

I have officially been back a week and am also back to almost having a heart attack each time I come back to my house up 3 inclines. My lungs must have shrunk back to size while I was at sea level. 

Being back has reminded of my love/hate relationships with this city. Then again I think that is how most people feel most of the time no matter where they live.  I have been wondering what people think of La Paz when they only experience it for a day or even a week. Thankfully last night I received an answer when a visitor described the city as "having a constant frenetic energy, a chaos that works."  Then today a Bolivian described La Paz as a city where "everything and nothing happens." This is very true. From the outside, and even on the inside from an outsiders prospective, it feels like this place could explode at any moment. And many times it has.  But ask any local and they will repeatedly insist that all is well and normal and that nothing there is nothing to worry about. 

Since my arrival, I have seen more public urination and breast feeding here than in my 23 years combined.  I have seen houses built of steel and stone, and others made of cardboard.  Just like any other city, this is a place where worlds collide and contradictions are as far marked as black is to white.  Yet I still feel that its energy and spirit is unlike any other place I have ever lived.  I mean, who in their right mind chooses to build a city this high? And furthermore, who decides to continue to stay?  I am in awe of this city, I really am.  The way the chaos works and the way that it eventually seems normal.

La Paz, here's to second round and many more days of experience!


1 comment:

Marilyn said...

What a beautiful perspective! I love to read you blog but I love YOU more!