Tuesday, June 30, 2009

un mois plus

Our office is closed this week for much needed vacation time. Since my favorite friends Christina and Kate are coming in to town next week and we will be traveling, so I decided to stay in L.P. and collect my thoughts. Plus, I really do not enjoy traveling alone- pretty over that.

This afternoon I decided to venture to my old neighborhood, up into the black market (real name: Mercado Negro). I have been wanting a pair of red, high top, Chuck Taylors and I was feeling lucky. My luck died after asking 10 stall owners if they carried a size 10. 8 gave me a quick NO, one said the pair I was holding (a size 7) was in fact a 10- do I look a) blind o b) stupid, the 10th said "yes", went to storage, came back and without making eye contact handed me a laced size 8. Seriously- do I look stupid. He didn't even react when I pointed out the clear OCHO on the sneaker. Just a shrug, and most likely he honestly thought I could make it work. He isn't the first Bolivian to try to convince me that I should wear an 8, that I am just making up my toes existence.

The afternoon was redeemed when I got on a mini bus with a "vocero" (boy that yells out the buses route) with an EXCELLENT lisp. THeis de Agosto, THan Miguiel, uno-THincuenta. A great moment. It's the little things that keep me sane.

In other news, I am growing less and less motivated to begin applying jobs from here. I mean if one more person mentions the economic crisis in a "good luck with that" tone, I may just never move back to the U.S. and take a job waitressing in Cusco. I am indeed aware of the odds against me, but then again hold strongly to the reality that when people lose money, social problems are heightened- therefore more opportunities in the "social assistance" field. I think I will be fine. But most of all, my lack of motivations comes from really desiring some time when i get back and not having to rush into a new job, city, apt, friend search, etc. I kind of just want to stand still and be. Maybe go for a run, breath some oxygen and sit by running water. Just the little things that keep me sane.

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

good posts that I just read today, my amazing girl!