Sunday, November 23, 2008

007

I just got home from watching the new James Bond, filmed in Chile and set in Bolivia (neither party is happy about that fact).  

A few comments:

I think it made La Paz seem more tropical than it is, I mean it's not tropical in the least and no one wears t-shirts at night. In general it was a pretty good sketch, especially the "cholitas" in the background and in a few scenes.  There is FOR SURE no hotel that resembles the one in the movie, if there was I would have snuck in there by now. [ Side note: I did sneak into the nice hotel in town this weekend, but I did have a friend who had a room and she invited us to the the pool.  I became an expert on faking a hotel stay, room number an all during my time in Bangkok.]

I don't think that another movie portraying U.S. involvement in propping up dictators in other countries, namely Bolivia, is the greatest idea.  I kind of wanted to hide my face/skin tone and all around physical features during that part of the film.  Most people believe movies to be all truth and I wouldn't be surprised if the movie does not catalyze another march to burn down the U.S. embassy.

On my mini bus (which will soon get it's own entry) home the helper (the person who yells out the window where the bus is going,  collects the money and opens/shuts the door) began breast feeding her baby.  Moments like these give me a nice dose of reality, the reality that yes in fact I am living in Bolivia. 


No comments: